Friday, January 4, 2013

Commemorative Speech Manuscript



Commemorative Speech – Manuscript
Matthew I. Zwicker
COMM1212

This person is greater than any comic-book hero, because she is a living superhero. When she flies to help, beams of love and compassion radiate off of her. Her hands heal, her enemies kneel, and she makes a fine, good (warm, savory/tasty) meal. Her apron is her cape. She hold the sword of the Word of the LORD in her right hand, and in her left, the shield of faith; and fastened to her belt of truth, a wooden mixing spoon of justice to use against the forces of evil, childhood disobedience.
            So it must be said that out of the pool of “superheroes”, one of the most heroic persons of my life is my mother, Janet Ann Zwicker. Today, I would like to honor my mother and emphasize the gifts of her courageous passion for adventure, aspirational perseverance, and great, compassionate love for others, but more so, for Jesus. Her qualities have given me great inspiration, and my hope is that in these next few minutes, she would inspire you too.
Of my mother, what can I say? With all of her abilities, she is like a Renaissance woman: “She can do all thing through Christ who gives her strength.” She’s explored Montana’s frost-bitten forests and Hawaii’s flaming lava fields; she’s smelled the rotten stench of a bear; and stared into the deep, cold eyes of three wolves. Her titles range from Forest Service Worker to lava fire fighter; from a small café waitress to an excelling pastry chef; and from “bus driver” for the elderly to Food Stamp provider to the poor. What can I say about her, my Renaissance mother? As many things she did, so as many obstacles she had to climb over to reach her goals.
Of my mother what can I say? Her perseverance to reach her goals is like a runner in a race: though sweat runs down and the sun pounds down on your face, that doesn’t stop you from running around the next turn. Ever since she was a little girl, my mother Janet always had a heart for people and a nose for cooking. So with my older sister, Crystal, who at the time was 2, my mother attended the University of Montana to major in Culinary Arts. However, due to life’s circumstances, my mother had to drop out of college and relinquish her degree. However, within 20 years, my mother worked in a small town café, catered for many weddings and reunions, and was one of the top chefs at two high-end Resorts in Hawaii. What can I say about her, my persevering mother? As for the many obstacles she has overcome, one thing she has overcome, getting over herself and living selflessly for God in every manner of her life.
Of my mother, what can I say? Her love is like mustard seed: as she let herself be soaked in the love of Jesus, God brought life to that little seed to grow into a mighty tree, so that all would see the love of God through just one little seed. She loved and loves her children with a deep love I rarely see at all. My mother is the type mother where if she has nothing to worry about, she’ll worry about not having something to worry about. Who knows a mother who does this? She has a deep compassion for people. People are on her heart 24/7, and she prays for people fervently like a mighty warrior fighting in the spiritual realm. She would pray with me every night since I could remember. With a warm embrace and a look of hope in her eyes, she would always press me on towards God and eternal life. What can I say about her, my heart-felt mother? Her love for God reaches to the stars, and her love for people reaches to their hearts.
So, with the ability to be willing to do anything, perseverance to get over anything and a heart for God and for people above everything, my mother is a real superhero. From running to stop lava flows to being still and talking to let Christ’s love flow, my mother has done many things to show her deep sincerity in loving God and loving people. – I do conclude that those two compose a true superhero, like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment